What comorbidities are associated with Gaucher disease?
Clinical care of patients with rare diseases may be further complicated by comorbidities. One study reviewed the literature to elucidate the comorbid conditions and pharmacotherapies used in patients with Gaucher disease Type 1. Two national databases reporting real-world data of pharmacotherapies prescribed to patients with Gaucher disease Type 1 in Germany (n=87 patients) and the US (n=374 patients) were also used in this study.1
The symptomatology of Gaucher disease Type 1 was characterised by visceral and haematological manifestations (hepatomegaly, splenomegaly, thrombocytopaenia, anaemia, pancytopaenia, neutropaenia, blood-clotting disorders and leukopaenia), bone manifestations (bone or joint pain, skeletal malformations, osteopaenia and osteoporosis) and pulmonary disorders.1
These data suggest that patients with Gaucher disease may experience a wide range of comorbidities, which may make clinical decision-making more challenging.1
C-ANPROM/INT//7566; Date of preparation: September 2020
- Utz J, Whitley CB, van Giersbergen PL, et al. Comorbidities and pharmacotherapies in patients with Gaucher disease type 1: the potential for drug-drug interactions. Mol Genet Metab 2016; 117: 172-178.
- Rosenbloom BE, Weinreb NJ, Zimran A, et al. Gaucher disease and cancer incidence: a study from the Gaucher Registry. Blood 2005; 105: 4569-4572.
- de Fost M, Vom Dahl S, Weverling GJ, et al. Increased incidence of cancer in adult Gaucher disease in Western Europe. Blood Cells Mol Dis 2006; 36: 53-58.
- Taddei TH, Kacena KA, Yang M, et al. The underrecognized progressive nature of N370S Gaucher disease and assessment of cancer risk in 403 patients. Am J Hematol 2009; 84: 208-214.
- Arends M, van Dussen L, Biegstraaten M, et al. Malignancies and monoclonal gammopathy in Gaucher disease; a systematic review of the literature. Br J Haematol 2013; 161: 832-842.
- Bultron G, Kacena K, Pearson D, et al. The risk of Parkinson's disease in type 1 Gaucher disease. J Inherit Metab Dis 2010; 33: 167-173.
- Packman W, Wilson Crosbie T, Riesner A, et al. Psychological complications of patients with Gaucher disease. J Inherit Metab Dis 2006; 29: 99-105.
- Tantawy AAG, Adly AAM, Salah El-Din NY, et al. Psychiatric manifestations in Egyptian Gaucher patients on enzyme replacement therapy. J Psychosom Res 2019; 122: 75-81.
- Kałużna M, Trzeciak I, Ziemnicka K, et al. Endocrine and metabolic disorders in patients with Gaucher disease type 1: a review. Orphanet J Rare Dis 2019; 14: 275.
- Mehta A. Epidemiology and natural history of Gaucher's disease. Eur J Intern Med 2006; 17 Suppl: S2-S5.
- Kim YM, Shin DH, Park SB, et al. Case report of unexpected gastrointestinal involvement in type 1 Gaucher disease: comparison of eliglustat tartrate treatment and enzyme replacement therapy. BMC Med Genet 2017; 18: 55.